Thursday, March 3, 2011

Making it ALLLL Better

Ever since my kids were little we had this deal. If you had to get a shot, you got a milkshake. They still hold me to that to this day, and they’re currently 21 and 17.

Yesterday I had a check-up with my new doctor. And after chatting a while, he determined that I was probably in need of a tetanus booster. Did I feel like I just hit the lottery? Not so much.

And not only did I NOT get my requisite milkshake, I barely even got a nod of sympathy. And so, given a complete void of empathy at home, I decided I’d need to take matters into my own hands.

But really, milkshakes just aren’t my thing. So instead, I thought I’d make one of my favorite cookies instead. I can’t even tell you why I like these so much. I don’t have any particular love of oatmeal. Or of plain ol’ oatmeal cookies, for that matter.

Maybe it’s the combination of chocolate with the touch of cinnamon, or the fact that the oatmeal gives them a really nice, soft texture and a bit of nuttiness.

Whatever it is, I’d take these over a milkshake any day.




















Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks unsalted butter, brought to room temperature
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 ½ tsp vanilla
1 ¾ cups flour
¾ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
3 ½ cups oats (I used the ‘quick cook’ variety)
½ bag (about 1 cup) mini chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350ยบ. Lightly grease a baking sheet (I just use the wrappers from the butter).

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and mix to combine. Add oats and mix thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop tablespoon-sized portions onto baking sheet, spacing evenly apart.

Bake for 8 - 9 minutes, or until edges are golden. Remove from oven and let stand about 1 minute before removing from baking sheet. Allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment