Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Whine

I have been very neglectful of the ol’ blog as of late. Let’s just say that life has been… interesting.

‘Nuf said.

Anyway, here it is September already. School has started, which seems very odd as I now have no kids to send off to school. I mean, I still have the KIDS. Just not school-age. Didn’t want you to think I banished them somewhere. But until O2 starts college in the Spring, I get a break from incessant whining about homework.

Not a bad deal.

Of course, I have to whine a bit on my own because summer seems to have finally located us here. Supposed to be up near 100 degrees today and tomorrow. So NOT ok. I know we got rid of the ‘don’t wear white after Labor Day’ rule, but I’m still holding fast to the ‘no days above 80 degrees after Labor Day’ rule, and that just got shot all to hell this week.

That means the oven does not get turned on. And so I turn to one of my favorite summer soups - gazpacho. I like the more traditional tomato one as well, but this version is particularly light. It goes together quickly, and the only thing you need to pair with it is some bread and something cold to drink.




















Grape and Almond Gazpacho

2 lbs seedless green grapes
1 medium cucumber, peeled & chopped
¼ cup roasted unsalted almonds
2 coarsely chopped scallions
¼ cup rice vinegar
½ cup plain yogurt
3 oz cream cheese
¼ cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 large dill sprigs, minced
Pinch of cayenne
Salt & pepper to taste

Minced chives for garnish

In a blender, combine first 9 ingredients. Blend until almost smooth. Stir in dill and cayenne, season with salt and pepper and refrigerate.

Serve in well-chilled bowls garnished with chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment