Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Stroke of Genius

Ok, whoever the individual is that came up with this idea has my write-in vote for President.  Genius.  Sheer genius.  And I’m mad that it didn’t occur to me earlier.

While this won’t come together in 30 minutes, it’s super simple, and I bet you don’t spend more than 30 minutes actually working on the meal, depending on what you serve with it.  Me, I stuck to some really simple sautéed corn and store bought rolls that I brushed with a little garlic butter.
The beauty of this is you can use your favorite BBQ sauce.  I stuck with my new favorite.
And while O2 is not a big fan of pork, she declared it ‘amazing’.  I’ll take it.

Oh, and while this is ‘Pulled Pork Spaghetti’, I actually used linguini since I had a box open already.

























Pulled Pork Spaghetti

1 pork shoulder roast (about 3 lbs)
2 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp ancho chili powder
½ tsp chipotle chili powder
½ tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cocoa powder
¼ cup apple juice
2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce
Cooked spaghetti

Combine all of the seasonings (salt through cocoa powder).  Rinse and pat the pork roast dry.  Sprinkle all over with seasoning blend and rub in thoroughly.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and sauté just until they begin to soften.  Add the seasoned pork roast.  Sear on all sides until golden (just a minute or two for each side).  Meanwhile, add the apple juice to a slow cooker and turn on high.  When pork has finished searing, add to slow cooker and cover.  Cook on high for 3 hours.  Drain off all but about ½ cup of the liquid, being careful to leave the onions.  Add the barbecue sauce and cook for another 1 to 2 hours.   Shred the meat and add to cooked spaghetti, using a bit more sauce if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment