Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sometimes Not Cooking is a Good Thing

Saturday was my birthday.  I didn’t have any particular plans for the day and decided to bake myself some scones.  After rifling through the cabinets to see what was on hand, I opted for some chocolate chip/almond scones.  No muss, no fuss, just like I planned the day to be.




















Chocolate Chip Almond Scones

2 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
6 Tbs cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1/2 cup + 2 Tbs  heavy cream
1/2 cup lightly toasted, sliced almonds
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 425°.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry until butter is well incorporated into the mixture. Add the almonds and chocolate chips.

Stir in the cream until a dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly to bring the mixture together.  Form into a flattened rectangle, about a foot or so long and about 3/4” thick. Cut into wedges.  Place s on a lined baking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown.

* * *
Offspring 1 and 2 decided to make dinner for me.  Now, my girls have been raised in a household with someone who cooks to relax, so they are on familiar terms with, shall we say, more complicated offerings than mac & cheese from a box (Which I buy on sale and use as a topping for popcorn – the cheese, at least.  Not the pasta.  Obviously).  That said, neither has exactly inherited my great love of being in the kitchen, either.  But I have to say, I was duly impressed with the menu.  O1 made a chicken and zucchini pasta with lots of garlic (Yes!) and cherry tomatoes.  She also roasted some asparagus.  O2 whipped up some garlic biscuits and then made various renditions of crepes for dessert (I opted for chocolate/apricot/almond).  And aside from an evening spent hanging out with my girls, laughing and having a great time, the best part was that I didn’t have to clean the kitchen afterwards!!


No comments:

Post a Comment