Thursday, May 31, 2012

Copycat

I haven’t run across a lot of store-bought cookies that I would actually pay money for, with the exception of a particular brand of ginger thins (no idea what the name is) that I’ll snag on occasion.  But the other night I was out to dinner, and the crème brulée I had for dessert was accompanied by 3 shortbread-like ginger cookies that were beyond amazing, and I have since become mildly obsessed with making my own crispy ginger cookies.

I see the makings of an odyssey of epic proportions ahead.

And while I was aiming for a shortbread-like cookie similar to what I had at the restaurant, my first endeavor ended up an exact replica of those ginger thins I love so much.

Keep in mind when baking these that they spread a lot.  I discovered that a mound of dough about the size of a cherry is a good size, but you could go smaller and still have a decent-sized cookie.  And I couldn’t even begin to tell you how many total the batch will make.  First off, I was trying so many different sizes that I couldn’t get a consistent count.  And somehow the dough and finished cookies kept disappearing.

Also, be sure to allow these to cool completely before stacking them (carefully) in an airtight container, or they will lose some of that delightful crispiness.























Ginger Thins

12 Tbs (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
¼ cup molasses
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 ½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp sea salt
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
Turbinado sugar (or use sugar in the raw)

Preheat to 350°.  Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar.  Using a paddle attachment, beat until thoroughly combined, about 3 minutes.  Add the egg and molasses.  Continue to beat another 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt and stir to combine.

Scrape the sides of the bowl and then add the flour and baking soda.  Stir slowly, just until combined. Measure teaspoon sized balls and place on cookie sheet, giving a couple of inches in between cookies to allow for spreading. Bake the cookies for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until they have spread, the surface has cracked, and they are firm to the touch. Remove to racks and allow to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container using wax paper or parchment in between stacks.

Makes…  a lot.  5 dozen maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment