Monday, April 18, 2011

Not Just for the Guys

Since my journey into the world of bacon combined with sugar went so well, I thought I’d whip up a batch of something bacon-y for a co-worker with a birthday this week. But I couldn’t resist a wee bit of a taste test. You know, just to be sure he was getting quality stuff.

I’m thoughtful like that.

Anyway, I haven’t gotten a review from him (If I had actually been a thoughtful person, I would have included something to spread it ON along with the jar he received), but I can say that this is something that I would happily spread on a burger bun, or make into bruschcetta. And it will make an appearance once I get my hands on some green tomatoes, that I can assure you.

Bacon’s not just for the guys, you know.

























Bacon Onion Pear Marmalade

4 slices of lean bacon, fat reserved
2 medium sized onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 bottle hard apple cider, divided
1/2 cup dried pear, roughly chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper

Fry bacon in a skillet until crispy. Remove from pan to paper towels, reserving bacon grease. Using the reserved bacon fat, slowly caramelize the onions until reduced in size and golden brown (15 to 20 minutes), stirring often.



















While the onions are caramelizing, soak the chopped pear in half the bottle of hard cider. Combine the pear/cider mixture along with the remaining bottle of cider with the caramelized onions. Add the mustard, vinegar and brown sugar to the pot. Season with pepper. Turn the heat up to medium high and reduce the mixture until very thick, stirring often. This will take about 10 minutes. About ¾ of the way through the cooking process, once most of the liquid has evaporated, crumble the bacon and add to the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment