Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Elves in the Kitchen

I remember late one night not too many years ago being awakened out of a sound sleep and having that feeling that ‘something just doesn’t seem quite… right’. This was quickly followed by a moment of panic thinking that the house was on fire because I definitely smelled… something.

Turns out it was O1 and O2 having the first of many Midnight Summertime Crèpe-making Extravaganzas. These eventually became their little bonding ritual and my only reservation (once these little sessions of theirs no longer resulted in my bolting awake in a panic) was facing a kitchen that was only ‘sort of’ put back together afterwards.

What I’m trying to say is that I’m no stranger to walking into the kitchen in the morning and seeing evidence of various late-night culinary endeavors.

And maybe it was because last week was a REALLY long week, which had followed another REALLY long week, or maybe my head just wasn’t in the right place, because when I walked into my PRISTINE kitchen and spotted a tray of these…



















all I could manage was… confusion.

I wondered if maybe I had made them and just promptly forgot (told you it had been a long week)? But no, upon closer inspection, these seemed too peanut butter-y to have been made by me. I’m not much of a peanut butter fan.

Turns out O2 had a craving for peanut butter and chocolate and decided to dive right in and make a batch of Buckeyes.

And then wash all of the dishes, countertops, etc.

Excuse me while I go check her temperature. While you’re waiting, you might want to whip up a batch of your own, because judging from how quickly they disappeared, they must have been pretty tasty.

Even if they were full of peanut butter.



















Buckeyes

1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cups (1 stick) butter (if you're using unsalted, you might want to add a dash)
1 tsp vanilla
1 (16 oz.) box powdered sugar
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbs vegetable shortening

Combine first four ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, using clean hands to mix, if desired. Roll into balls (1-2 teaspoons) and place on a waxed-paper lined cookie sheet.  Refrigerate until cold set.

Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a bowl in the microwave (30 seconds to 1 minute at a time - be careful not to burn). Put balls on a toothpick and dunk 3/4 of the way into the melted chocolate.  Remove toothpick and refrigerate again.

No comments:

Post a Comment