Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Energizer Bunny Hits a Brick Wall

And yes, I am referring to myself.  I know that sometimes I just go and go and go like that little rabbit, and yes, I have been referred to as 'Super Mom'.  But last night that all came to a screeching halt.

Not that I was all caught up and finally ready to catch my breath.  The List That Never Ends still needs to be addressed.  But after a very frustrating trip to The Store I Hate Walking Into (ptooie) and a quick dash through the living room with the vacuum, followed by a stroll to the store for a few items (it was crisp, but dry, something I like to take advantage of during the monsoon season here), I just...  dropped.  I think I just needed some time to regroup.  And make soup.

There is nothing terribly exciting about this soup EXCEPT for the fact that it went together in about 15 minutes and as an added bonus, I managed a quick batch of chicken stock to boot.  But it was still tasty, warm and required relatively little cleanup.





















Chicken Tortellini Soup

1/2 cup chopped leeks (you can substitute shallot or onion)
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
1 32-oz carton low-sodium chicken broth
1 package refrigerated tortellini
2 Tbs chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbs dried parsley
1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add leeks and sauté a couple of minutes.  Pour the entire carton of chicken broth over the leeks and allow to come to a simmer.  Add tortellini.   Cook for 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt butter over medium heat and add flour.  Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until the roux is lightly toasted.

Add sun-dried tomatoes, the herbs and chicken to the tortellini.  Slowly stir in roux, allowing the soup to come back to a simmer and thicken.  Stir in milk.  Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment