Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Southern Favorite

I spent most of my formative years in the South.  And while I can't say that this was a mainstay on the kitchen table...  maybe it should have been.  Offspring sure enjoys it.  And although it exceeds my limit of acceptable number of dishes that subsequently need to be washed, it does go together quickly and with little fuss.  So I tend to make an exception.

I happened to have some Apricot Habanero jam in the pantry, which was very nice on this.  Don't ask me why I have such a tendency to add sauces and dips to what I make.  I just do.

















Buttermilk Spoon Bread

1 cup milk
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
3 Tbs. butter
1 cup cheese (I used a sharp cheddar here, but use whatever you like)

Preheat oven to 350º.  Butter a 9" square casserole dish.

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.  Set aside.  In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks and buttermilk.

In a medium saucepan, bring the milk just to a boil.  Slowly stir in sugar and then cornmeal (don't dump the cornmeal in all at once or you'll be more likely to end up with lumps).  Cook 3 - 4 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add salt, baking power and baking soda.  Stir in butter and cheese until thoroughly combined.

Add egg/buttermilk mixture to pan and combine thoroughly.  Gently fold in egg white, folding just until whites are combined.  Pour mixture into baking dish.




Bake for 30 - 40 minute, or until golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment