Monday, April 25, 2011

Super Fast

The question I hear most often from friends who aren’t quite as food-obsessed as I am is ‘Do you always cook like this??’, usually in response to a full-blown meal that I’ve pulled out all the stops for.

The answer is simply… no way.

Yes, I enjoy cooking. Yes, I probably cook more than the ‘average’ home cook. And YES, YES, I find myself wanting to throw together something quickly with little fuss.

I just happened to snag a really cheap pineapple last week and before it wasted away in the fridge (pineapple, in spite of its tough exterior, is pretty delicate and won’t last long once you bring it home). A quick dash into the store on my way home netted me some shrimp (already cooked), and I threw in stuff I had around the house.

It wasn’t ‘authentic’ or probably even all that well-planned, but it was tasty.

Make some.




















Pineapple Fried Rice

About 2 cups cooked rice (I threw one of those microwave packets together and used it)
2 - 3 Tbs vegetable or canola oil
½ cup thinly sliced onion
2 cloves garlic, mashed
½ tsp curry powder (optional)
½ tsp dried chili flakes
½ lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (I purchased the pre-cooked variety)
2 - 4 Tbs soy sauce (to taste)
1 Tbs ponzu sauce (optional)
About 1 cup fresh pineapple, cubed
2 Tbs green onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped

Heat oil in a skillet and sauté the onion over medium heat until it turns translucent. Add the garlic, curry and chili flakes, and continue to sauté another minute, just until garlic begins to soften. Add the cooked rice, pineapple and shrimp to the pan, then pour in the soy and ponzu sauces. Cook and stir until everything is heated through and the soy sauce caramelizes slightly. Stir in basil and green onion and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment