Sunday, November 28, 2010

And the Critics Rave

Hands down the biggest success over Thanksgiving was the breakfast I prepared the next morning using leftovers from dinner.  And I had two of my harshest critics to satisfy - namely, my two nieces (ages 5 and 3).

I opted for pumpkin pancakes using some of the leftover pumpkin from my dessert (and using the caramel sauce as a 'syrup') as well as bacon sweetened ever so slightly with brown sugar.  I also had some of the pecan/vanilla butter left from the Brussels sprouts and used that as well.

After breakfast, my 3-year-old niece marched through the house chanting 'puh-kin pah-pay' AND asked for them again at dinner that night.

I'll take that as a victory.

















Sugared Bacon

Bacon strips
Pepper
Brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375º.  Line a baking sheet with foil and place bacon strips side-by-side on pan.  Season with pepper and sprinkle with brown sugar.  Bake about 15 minutes, or until bacon is done.  Go as light or heavy on the sugar as you'd like.  Using a solid coating of the sugar will give the bacon more of a 'candied' finish.  I went pretty light on it just to give it a hint of sweetness.
































Puh-kin Pah-pay (Pumpkin Pancakes)

1 cup milk
6 Tbs. canned pumpkin puree
2 Tbs. melted butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves

In a large bowl, stir together first 4 ingredients.  On a sheet of waxed paper, sift the dry ingredients together.  Add to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat; pour in 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook pancakes about 3 minutes per side.

Mine were topped with the Vanilla-Pecan Butter and Spicy Caramel Apple Sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment