Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bad Blogger

Pretty sure I could get my blogging credentials taken away before I've barely started, but not only have I not made any preparations for Thanksgiving dinner (and thus spent weeks experimenting and blogging about all the recipes we'll be enjoying), I haven't even given much thought to WHAT we'll be having.

My family is generally not a die hard holiday bunch.  Sometimes we're all together.  Sometimes not.  Sometimes we go traditional.  Sometimes not.

But because it's November already and because I feel I SHOULD put out a holiday recipe, I will share with you the cranberry sauce recipe that, should we opt for a traditional Thanksgiving meal, will most certainly be on the table.  Oddly enough, I generally make this for me.  Most of the family prefers the stuff that comes out of the can, ridges intact...  But I prefer this.  And it's great on sandwiches, spread on crackers with a bit of mascarpone or cream cheese, etc.

I'd like to show you a picture of the finished product, but, well...  I haven't made it yet.  :-)












Cranberry Conserve

1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c butter
2 t vinegar
1 onion, finely chopped
4 c cranberries (roughly 2 bags)
½ c golden raisins
¼ c apple cider or juice
¼ t ground allspice
¼ t ground cloves
3 ½ c sugar
1 c toasted pecan pieces

In a soup pot, cook and stir brown sugar, butter and vinegar over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add onions. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 - 12 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring often. Transfer to bowl.
In same pan, combine cranberries, raisins, apple cider, allspice and cloves. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook 5 minutes and then add onion mixture and sugar. Return to boiling. Cook, uncovered 10 - 15 mins, stirring more frequently as mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts. Ladle into freezer containers, leaving ½ in headspace. Freeze up to 1 year.

No comments:

Post a Comment