Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Another Quickie

Today I was thinking about my girls and what beautiful young ladies they’ve become. That in turn got me to thinking about childhood and the kinds of foods that kids like to eat. My nieces, who are still little, enjoy those little breakfast in a pastry type things. And so I thought I’d put one together for Offspring #2 before she ran out the door for the evening. I opted for one large pastry, but these could certainly be cut down to more portable versions.
















Breakfast Sausage Pastry

½ lb. breakfast sausage
3 eggs
2 T. fresh chopped chives
¼ c. finely chopped red bell pepper (I forgot to add this, so you won’t see it in the photo)
¼ c. half and half
Salt and Pepper to taste

Thinly sliced cheese (I used a Muenster, I think)
1 sheet thawed puff pastry dough

Heat oven to 375 º. Brown sausage on stove. Meanwhile, beat eggs with cream. Add chives and season to taste. Add bell peppers to cooked sausage and sauté until softened. Pour off any excess grease and then add egg mixture to pan. Cook and stir until eggs are cooked but still moist. Remove from heat.

Place puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and roll out slightly. Place slices of cheese across the middle and then add the sausage/egg mixture on top, keeping enough room around the edges for folding the dough. Using a bit of the egg mixture, or another slightly beaten egg, ‘glue’ the edges together and pinch or fold under. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set the pastry on top. Brush with more egg mixture. Bake for 25 - 30 mins, or until the pastry is golden brown. I made a sauce using a bit of sour cream, some Dijon mustard and black pepper and also sprinkled the top of the pastry with a bit of additional sea salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment