Thursday, January 27, 2011

Keeping the Peace

I’d like to say that the one thing I make that causes my offspring to fight for the last crumb is something I spend hours preparing and lovingly coaxing into its perfect form.

I’d like to say that.

But I’d be lying.

Case in point… At the request of Offspring #1, I made this super-simple, throw it together in 10 minutes key lime cream cheese pie for her birthday lunch. Actually, I made two, just to be sure I had enough for everyone. Apparently, the unforgiveable error I made was in sending home the remaining ¾ of a pie with the birthday girl and not keeping any for her sister (bad mommy).

I was in the doghouse for days.

And so, in order to maintain household harmony, I threw another one together last night. If I was in a more ‘foodie’ frame of mind, I would have done something exciting with the crust.

I wasn’t.

And actually, I didn’t even use the type of crust that I prefer for this, which is more of a shortbread type of thing. Instead, I went with your run-of-the-mill, off-the-shelf, store-bought graham cracker crust.

And peace reined supreme.





















Key Lime Cream Cheese Pie

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
½ cup sugar
1 can (about 14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup key lime juice (I used Nellie & Joe’s brand)
Zest of one lime, grated
1 shortbread (or graham cracker) crust

In a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until fluffy and smooth. Slowly add the sugar and continue to beat until sugar is thoroughly incorporated. With the mixer running on the lowest setting, slowly pour in the condensed milk and then add the vanilla. Mix until smooth, scrape the sides of the bowl, and continue to mix on low.

Slowly add lime juice a couple of tablespoons at a time (or you’ll be wearing it), stopping to scrape the sides if necessary and mixing until mixture is completely smooth. Stir in lime zest and pour into crust.

Allow to set up in fridge for a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment