Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Naughty, Naughty

As I've mentioned, I've been trying to exercise regularly, not because I see myself frolicking in the surf any time soon, but so I can continue to enjoy eating the way I like to eat.  In other words, I'm not giving up on butter any time soon.

However, I have cut way back in the sugar department, at least in what I've been eating myself (not as much in what I've been making for others).  But this weekend, several weeks of a sugar-free lifestyle, along with the stress of dealing with Scamp R. ERR finally took its toll.

I required something hot, gooey and full of chocolate.

Somehow I'm positive that Mr. 2-D Trainer Dude on my exercise video could sense what I was up to.  He certainly seemed very condescending the next time I tuned in.  Or maybe the glob of bittersweet chocolate at the corner of my mouth gave me away.  Whatever.  I hit the 'mute' button and carried smugly on.  Take that, 2-D.



















One-pan Chocolate Skillet Cookie
adapted from Sophistimom

1 stick (8 Tbs) unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
6 oz bittersweet chocolate chips (I used Guittard)

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.  In an 8-inch cast iron skillet, heat butter over medium heat.  When it's melted about halfway, remove the pan from the heat and allow the butter to continue to melt.  Add sugars to pan and mix until thoroughly combined.  Add vanilla and egg and mix quickly until egg is thoroughly incorporated into the mix.  Slowly stir in flour, baking soda and salt.  Spread mixture evenly in pan, then sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the mixture, pressing in slightly.

Transfer pan to oven and bake 15 - 18 minutes, or until the edges are golden but mixture is still soft in the middle (it will continue to cook once removed from oven, so don't be tempted to leave it in too long or you will have more of a shortbread, which is still tasty but doesn't really have that 'gooey' factor).  Serve with almond ice cream, or whatever other flavor elicits moans of pleasure.





















Or grab a fork (as I did) and eat straight from the pan.  I'm not apologizing.  I would have been more tempted to stand over the kitchen sink, pan in one hand and fork in the other, but those cast iron skillets are HEAVY!

No comments:

Post a Comment